When should you appoint a Principal Designer?
- A Principal Designer must be appointed for every construction project that will last last more than 30 days and have more than 20 workers working at the same time at any point on the project or exceed 500 person days of construction work.
- Domestic clients are people who have work done on their own home or the home of a family member, that does not relate to a trade or business.
What are YOUR Duties as a client under CMD 2015?
- Check competence and resources of all appointees
- Ensure there are suitable management arrangements for the project inc. welfare facilities
- Allow sufficient time and resources for all stages
- Provide pre-construction information to designers and contractors
- Appoint a principal designer
- Appoint a principal contractor
- Make sure that the construction phase does not start unless there are suitable:
– welfare facilities, and
– construction phase plan in place
- Provide information relating to the health and safety file to the Principal Designer
- Retain and provide access to the health and safety file
Our Principal Designer Service
At Health, Life and Safety our Principal Designers are highly experienced, having worked on numerous projects including retail, health and education.
We are qualified to degree level, and are members of the Association of Project Safety (APS), we are on the APS register of Principal Designers (IMaPs). We also hold NEBOSH CONSTRUCTION (as minimum) qualifications, this is backed up by our Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme.
Our duties as YOUR Principal Designer under CDM 2015 include the following
- Advise and assist the client with their duties
- Notify HSE
- Co-ordinate health and safety aspects of design work and co-operate with others
- Facilitate good communication between client, designers and contractors
- Liaise with principal contractor regarding ongoing design
- Identify, collect and pass on pre-construction information
- Prepare/update health and safety file
Give us a call or drop us an email and give us a brief outline of the project and we will return a quote outlining our fees within 24hrs.
We find our fees for our Principal Designer service to be amongst the most competitive in the industry, in fact many of our clients comment on our excellent value for money service.
A requirement under CDM 2007.